Enlarging your home can lead to a spectacular result…or not. Here are five steps to consider if you are contemplating an addition:
- Many of us begin by calling our real estate agent and friends for contractor referrals when we should be asking for referrals to architects. An architect can suggest renovations that will meld your current space with the addition to give your home the curb appeal you’ll want for resale. Your architect can provide names of local contractors.
- Make certain that whomever you choose is insured and gets proper permits from your local building inspector.
- When planning your budget for the addition, work closely with your contractor to develop an all in budget. Many budgets end up growing by 30 to 50% or more.
- Before starting the process, it’s nice to let neighbors know that you will be renovating so they’ll be prepared for the noise and traffic.
- Know your renovation will change your town assessment and your property taxes will likely increase. And contact your insurance carrier because coverage will need to be reassessed.
Understanding the expansion process can make the planning more manageable.