As the leaves turn many new colors here in the beautiful Northwest Corner of Connecticut, it’s a good time to get your house ready for winter.
Here’s a checklist to help get you started:
• Chimneys – make sure your chimney is clean and equipped with an animal-proof chimney cap
• Clean your gutters – clogged gutters can create ice dams; gutters also channel water away from the house to prevent water damage
• Animal-proof your house – caulk small holes and cover with steel mesh to prevent rodents from seeking a cozy spot to winter
• Trim trees and shrubs that are too close to the house
• HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) should be serviced and cleaned annually and filters changed as recommended for your equipment.
And now you can get ready to enjoy skiing, skating, and fireside dinners!