Warm weather, sunshine, and fabulous salads are a few of our favorite things.
This is one of my favorite recipes to celebrate the abundance that is all around us this time of year. This truly awesome arugula avocado salad that doesn’t feel anything like deprivation.
Arugula is full of phytochemicals that can help prevent cancer, along with Vitamins A, C, and K. Avocados are full of healthy fats and fiber to keep you full and feeling good. This recipe also contains strawberries to help boost immunity, pine nuts (which are actually seeds) for added energy, and olive oil to help stabilize blood sugar and cholesterol levels. It’s great as a side dish or topped with grilled salmon or chicken for a super healthy meal.
2 cups baby arugula
1 avocado, seed and skin removed, sliced
6 strawberries, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cub shaved parmesan (optional)
1/2 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt + pepper to taste
- Make the dressing by combining all ingredients in a mason jar (or something like it) and give it a good shake. Set aside (extra dressing can also be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks).
- Toast your pine nuts: heat oven to 350 and place nuts on a baking sheet. Roast for approx. three to five minutes. Watch them very carefully, you don’t want them to burn! Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine arugula, strawberries, avocado, toasted pine nuts, and parmesan. Squeeze lemon on top.
- Add your dressing a little bit at a time until you reach a satisfactory salad/dressing ratio.
- Sprinkle a little sea salt and pepper on top, and enjoy!
Originally posted on Healthybestwellness.com